My all time favorite Sweet Potato Casserole topped with a brown sugar and pecan topping will be the star of your Thanksgiving table! It’s easy to make the day of or can be prepared in advance for an easy make-ahead holiday side dish.
This is the perfect Thanksgiving side dish to make a day or two ahead of time, to save time and stress the day of.
This recipe has half the sugar and butter that most do, but it’s still perfectly sweet and completely delicious.
- 4-5 large sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk , or substitute cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
For the topping:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot. Add enough water to the pot to cover the potatoes half way (a little more than half way). You will need at least 3-4 inches of water but the water will not completely cover the potatoes!
- Bring the water to a boil and then turn the heat to a medium simmer. Simmer them until they are fork tender. It may take 20-40 minutes to cook your sweet potatoes depending on the size of the potatoes, but you don't want them to be mushy!
- Drain water and place sweet potatoes on a plate or cutting board to cool down. Once they are warm enough to hold, peel the skin from the potatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Visit POTATO CASSEROLE @ tastesbetterfromscratch.com for Complete Instruction and Recipe Notes